Chicken soup may contain a number of substances with beneficial medicinal activity including an anti-inflammatory mechanism that could ease the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections, so this soup is perfect for the Winter ailments that are around, its a feel good soup.
Makes 8 - 10 serves
Kit comes with everything (minus salt, pepper and water) to create.
Roughly $3 per serve
Included in your kit:
1x whole free range chicken
Fresh Ginger Root
1. Rinse the chicken inside and out.
2. Place the chicken in a stock pot and cover with water, about 10 to 12 centimetres above the chicken.
3. Add the bay leaves and thyme
4. Bring to a simmer and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
5. In the meantime prepare your vege, peeled and roughly dice the onion and carrots, chop the celery, take the skin off the ginger and mince, just peel the garlic cloves.
6. After 30 minutes, skim the top of the chicken broth then add all of the vege, ginger and garlic.
7. Return to a gentle simmer, pot covered. Simmer for one hour (or if you get side tracked another half hour will not hurt)
8. Gently remove the chicken and set aside to cool so you can remove the bones, skin and gristle. Shred the meat to eventually place back in the broth.
9. Either drain the broth of the vege and herbs into a bowl then pour back into the broth back into the pot and bring back to a simmer, cut the kernels off the fresh corn (or use a tin of drained whole corn kernels) and place with the noodles in the broth and cook about 10 minutes until al dente.
10. You can add back in most of the carrot and celery and all of the shredded chicken.
11. Now season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
I served with chilli oil and a little bit of freshly chopped parsley from my garden.